Los Angeles Survives Carmageddon 2
By Paul Peterson, Reporter / Total News Source
(Los Angeles, CA) -- Los Angeles seems to have survived "Carmageddon 2." Officials say the demolition of a bridge that forced the weekend closure of one of the busiest freeways in America went off, for the most part, without a hitch. Crews began working on Friday evening to tear down all but two columns of the Mulholland Drive bridge above Interstate 405. It's all part of a billion dollar project that will widen the freeway with the addition of a new carpool lane.
Carmageddon 2 is the sequel to a shutdown last year of a ten-mile stretch of the 405 running through the Sepulveda Pass. Officials have been warning drivers for the past several weeks to avoid the area on the west side of Los Angeles. California Highway Patrol officers did have to cite several people who made their way onto the 405 Freeway yesterday morning. The "Los Angeles Times" says the troublemakers included a group of rollerbladers and newlyweds who wanted to celebrate on the closed roadway.
The section of the 405 freeway that was closed over the weekend normally carries about 500-thousand vehicles on an average weekend day. California Department of Transportation officials had said for Carmageddon 2 to be successful, about two thirds of those motorists would need to find alternate routes. The 405 opened on schedule this morning at 5:00 a.m. local time.
To avoid any unnecessary delays, visit Sigalert.com online or on-the-go for 24/7 traffic information.